While varicose veins can occur in both the young and the elderly, they are more common as we age. This is because as we get older, the valves in our veins get weaker. These one-way valves in our veins prevent blood from flowing backward when they function well. If these valves are weak, they allow your blood to flow backward.
The increased blood within the vein then results in increased pressure, resulting in twisting, bulging veins, called varicose veins. According to a study, almost 16% of adults with varicose veins are over the age of 60.
Why seniors should seek varicose veins treatment
Seniors with varicose veins should get varicose veins treatment as soon as possible. There are several reasons for this:
1) Discomfort: A large majority of seniors with varicose veins have reported at least one leg symptom due to their varicose veins in the legs. You could have burning, throbbing, heaviness, or pain in your legs. Whatever your symptoms, prompt treatment of your varicose veins can help relieve your discomfort and help you lead a more comfortable life.
2) Swelling: When your blood pools in your vein, fluid can leak out of your vein and into the surrounding tissue just underneath your skin. This can cause substantial swelling. While compression stockings can help you deal with the swelling to some extent, it is not a permanent answer. As the pooling of blood in the veins increases, so will your swelling. You should consult with your vascular surgeon for a more permanent solution to treat your varicose veins, and hence, your swelling.
3) Limited physical activity: Your varicose veins may affect your desire to indulge in regular physical exercise, especially activities such as tennis, running, or cycling. If you are faced with this situation, you should immediately consult with your vascular surgeon for treatment of your varicose veins.
4) Bleeding: Varicose veins are typically located close to the surface of the skin and are full of blood. This is why even a small cut or scratch can cause profuse bleeding, which can be difficult to stop. Treatment of your varicose veins can help prevent this bleeding.
5) Leg ulcers: These are sores on the legs that heal slowly or not at all. They are common if you have varicose veins and are older. Due to swelling and other changes in the skin due to varicose veins, it may be difficult to treat leg ulcers. Treating the varicose veins can help prevent leg ulcers.
6) Skin infections: Your varicose veins can lead to you getting a skin infection, called cellulitis. If you have a red, swollen, and painful vein in your leg, you should consult your vascular surgeon straight away for treatment. Once you treat your varicose veins, you can reduce the chance of getting a skin infection.
Treatment for varicose veins for seniors
If you are a senior and have varicose veins, treatment options to get rid of varicose veins are:
- Minimally invasive options: These options provide relief from varicose veins without the complicated, lengthy, and painful recovery that comes with vein ligation and stripping. These options are typically performed by interventional radiologists and vascular surgeons. Here are some of these minimally invasive procedures:
o Endovenous ablation: During this procedure, heat, either from a laser or from radiofrequency waves, is used to scar the inside of the varicose vein.
o Microphlebectomy: During this procedure, small cuts are made in the skin to remove the varicose veins. This is also called ambulatory phlebectomy. It is usually performed along with endovenous ablation.
o Sclerotherapy: A solution is inserted into the vein with a small needle. This scars the inside of the vein and causes the blood flow to reroute to healthier veins. This procedure works best to treat spider veins and smaller varicose veins.
If you are a senior and have varicose veins that need treatment, you need to consult the right vascular specialist and Interventional radiologist. One such doctor is Dr. Abhilash Sandhyala, of the Flow Vascular Clinic. This is located in Hyderabad, India.
He is especially adept at performing Endovenous Laser Treatment (EVLT) and has treated thousands of patients with varicose veins by using this procedure. Not only is he an extremely skillful surgeon, but he is also extremely empathetic and a skilled communicator.
He will work closely with you to treat your varicose veins, thereby preventing their complications. If you are a senior, he will understand the other health issues you may be facing along with your varicose veins. He will treat you as a complete individual and not just as another case.
So, if you are a senior with varicose veins and need treatment, do consult with Dr. Abhilash Sandhyala, and come away very satisfied with your choice!
For more information about the treatment for varicose veins in senior citizens and others, as well as the treatment for DVT, or other vascular conditions, contact Dr. Abhilash Sandhyala at (+91) 9989649498 or 9959033037, or at email@example.com or visit our website at www.drabhilash.com