As you may well know, your veins are responsible for sending blood back to the heart. However, due to gravity, the veins in your legs have to work harder with more strain put on them to get the blood back up to your heart. This process becomes even more difficult, if the veins are weakened or damaged in some way. This leads to blood pooling, which then leads to varicose veins.
While there are several minimally invasive treatments for varicose veins, there is one that you may not know about…Yoga and Meditation! Yoga and meditation can help you manage your varicose veins. The stretching done in yoga can relieve the soreness and swelling in your legs caused by varicose veins.
Yogic exercises to relieve varicose veins
There are certain yogicasanas that can be done to relieve your varicose veins. Some of them are:
- Tadasana (Mountain Pose): This is the basic yogic asana, which gives rise to the other asana This asana is very simple to practice and gives a lot of relief to varicose veins. It can be practised at any time of the day and it helps you maintain a proper body posture. Because all of your muscles work rigorously to maintain the tadasana, it releases the stress from your limbs. Your knees, thighs, and ankles become stronger when you practice this asana. Also, tadasanaboosts circulation in the veins of the legs and improves balance as well, thereby helping to relieve the symptoms of varicose veins.
- Uttanasana(Standing Forward Bend): During this asana, the head is below the heart, which boosts the blood circulation in the head. There is a rush of energizing oxygen to the brain. Also, it improves blood circulation to your legs and calves, which are the main parts where varicose veins are most likely to develop.
- Navasana (Boat Pose):When practicing this asana, the arms, the legs, and the body are fully extended in an acute boat-like “V” position. The Navasanahelps to keep your legs elevated. This, in turn, prevents the pooling of blood in the blood vessels of the legs. The pressure in the legs reduces instantly and the few seconds of suspension builds strength. This yoga asana helps you fight the pain of varicose veins.
- Matsyasana(Fish Pose): This is considered to be one of the best yoga asanas for the treatment of varicose veins. This asana stretches your feet and legs and helps you get relief from cramps and stress. This asana regulates the blood flow throughout the body and also relaxes the legs. This makes it very effective in treating varicose veins.
- Viparita Karani (Legs Up The Wall): This yoga asana helps improve the blood circulation throughout the body, including in the lower region. Hence, this asana brings a lot of relief to those suffering from varicose veins.
- Pawanmukstasana(Wind Relieving Pose): This asana helps relieve excess gas from the stomach and from the intestines. It also helps relieve muscles tension in the blood vessels and helps improve blood circulation. It helps relieve the pain and swelling caused by varicose veins.
- Sarvangasana (Shoulder Stand Yoga Pose): This asana is also called a shoulder stand as all of the body weight rests on the shoulders. This asana improves blood circulation throughout the body, including in the lower region. It helps soothe the swelling and throbbing pain of varicose veins.
- Balasana(Child Pose):This asana not only reduces stress and anxiety, but it also improves blood circulation in the entire body. This prevents the stagnation of blood in the varicose veins. It also calms the mind by helping you practice the right way of breathing.
- Malasana(Garland Pose):This is one of the simplest poses that you can practice to cure your varicose veins. It does this by increasing the flexibility in your ankles and knees. It is a simple squat and not only works on your spine, buttocks, and hips, but also enhances the metabolism of the digestive tract.
Yoga helps alleviate the pain caused by varicose veins. Most of the yoga asanas mentioned in this article are leg elevation poses. These poses help drain the blood back to the heart, thereby easing the pressure in your veins, especially your leg veins. This means that your condition can be improved and your limb movement can be enhanced. These asanas help relieve the pain and swelling associated with your varicose veins. These asanas can be practised as simple home remedies for varicose veins.
Meditation for varicose veins
Varicose veins can also be ameliorated through meditation. Meditation allows the body to achieve a state of complete relaxation, by lowering our heart rate, decreasing our blood pressure, and helping us find solace and peace within ourselves. Meditation helps us find homoeostasis (a condition of optimal functioning of the body), by practising simple breathing exercises, lying still, or walking peacefully. In this way, meditation for varicose veins is beneficial.
When we are calm and collected, our bodies benefit the most. Meditation helps us find peace and also helps us remain healthy. As we consistently meditate, our circulation is increased and our blood pressure is lowered, thereby achieving complete vein health. With meditation, your veins are relaxed and allowed to function without unnecessary stress. These veins are healthy veins.
While there is no right or wrong way to meditate, you can simply sit in a comfortable position and focus on your breathing. This will bring you back to a more relaxed state. Because healthy veins come from healthy bodies without constant stress, meditation is key to preventive vein care.
While yoga and meditation could help relieve the pain and stress of varicose veins, it is imperative that you consult with a doctor before you begin your regimen of yogic asanas and meditation. Also, your doctor may prescribe some other treatment that you can take in addition to yoga and meditation.
One such doctor is Dr. Abhilash Sandhyala of the Flow Vascular Clinic in Hyderabad, India. He is an expert in treating varicose veins and has treated thousands of cases. He will prescribe the treatment for your varicose veins that is right for you. He will treat you holistically and as a complete individual and will patiently work with you to come up with a complete treatment plan for your varicose veins.
So, if you have varicose veins and are considering a regimen of yoga and meditation, do first consult with Dr. Abhilash Sandhyala for a comprehensive treatment plan for your varicose veins. You will have made the absolute right choice!
For more information about the treatment of varicose veins, as well as the treatment for DVT, or other vascular conditions, contact Dr. Abhilash Sandhyala at (+91) 9989649498 or 9959033037, or at email@example.com or visit our website at www.drabhilash.com